Usher Responsibilities Checklist – Usher Duties
You’ve been asked to be an usher. Now what? Obviously, your main responsibility will be seating guests as they arrive for the ceremony. However, there are a few other tasks you might be expected to help out with. Here’s a short checklist of important details and responsibilities you’ll need to remember for the rehearsal and on the big day.
- Before the rehearsal starts, make sure you’ve picked up your suit or tux and have it ready to go for the following day.
- Attend the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner to receive your instructions and any special seating requests.
- Find out when/where wedding day photos you’ll need to be part of will be taken.
- Meet your fellow wedding party members if you haven’t already done so.
The Wedding Day
- Arrive at least 45 minutes before the ceremony starts.
- Check for any last-minute special seating requests from both families.
- When guests begin to arrive, seat them on the appropriate side of the church (if this is the couple’s plan)
- When seating women, give them your arm. Their husband/date is expected to follow behind.
- Be respectful and courteous to all guests. Even though you only have a few moments to walk them to their seat – try and throw on a little charm. They’ll love it!
- Be aware of any elderly guests that may need extra help going to and from their seats.
- If a runner (aisle carpet) is being used, two ushers are often expected to unroll it immediately before the bride walks down the aisle.
- Traditionally, ushers close the doors after the wedding party enters and re-open them for the bride and her father to enter the church.
- During the ceremony, ushers typically sit toward the back of the church. Sometimes, they’re even asked to sit outside to let late-arriving guests in without causing a disturbance.
- After the bride, groom and wedding party exit the church, the ushers begin releasing rows starting with the immediate families and ending with the very back rows.
- Before heading to the reception, check the church and parking lot for anything that may have been left behind.
- Most importantly, enjoy yourself! How often do you get to dress up, look sharp, and walk arm in arm with beautiful women all in one day?